Thursday, October 30, 2014

Halloween (Black and Orange) Storytime

This session I am focusing on colors each week. I got this idea from Storytime Katie and her series of color storytimes, as well as my slight obsession with Rainbow order.

I would love to have started with 'Red' because: Rainbow Order, but alas, this week Storytime falls on October 30 so it had to be Black and Orange!


I have a lot of late arrivals so I thought I would start on time, if possible, with a song like this and do the introductory "opening" song second once most of the people arrived. Unfortunately, this morning people were very very late so it didn't even work. Sigh.

·       I did Willoughby Wallaby Woo so I could learn and sing each of the Children's names.

·       Showed the sign for "Orange", What is Orange? Who is wearing Orange?

I went through our flannel board files and pulled out any orange items which is kind of alarming and not something I'd do if anyone was watching, because Ahghhgh! What a mess?! But anyway while safely alone I had picked all the orange items out and put them on the top of the board so we talked about what they all were. My favorite was an orange mitten which a child said was for getting things out of the oven!




·       Showed sign for "Black". What is black? Who is wearing black?

Also showed black items taken from all different flannel story files.

·       Read It's Pumpkin Time by Zoe Hall

·       Sang Grey Squirrel

·       Performed Five Little Pumpkins fingerplay

·       Talked about Spiders. What is a Spider's house? Who is afraid of spiders? What  do we know about Spiders?

·       Sang Itsy Bitsy Spider

·       Flannel Board "Five Spiders on a Web"

·       Sang Mary Had a Little Lamb

·       Read Room on the Broom by Julia Donaldson

·       Sang Baa Baa Black Sheep

·       Flannel Board "Here is a Pumpkin"

·       Sang Little Green Frog

·       Next we danced to The Monster Mash

·       Then we did a Jack O'Lantern Craft

·       and it was Playtime!!


No comments:

Post a Comment